The Primary Election will be held June 2, 2020. There are three ways to vote in this election:
- Vote at Home: Protect yourself and our Precinct Election Officials and vote at home. Simply complete an absentee ballot request form and mail to the Auditor’s Office (201 N 12th St #11, Centerville, IA 52544). This form must be received in our office before 5:00 PM, May 22, 2020. The Auditor’s Office will send you a ballot which you can complete in the comfort of your home and mail it back to us postage free. The first day we can mail ballots is April 23, 2020
- Vote Early In-Person: You can vote in-person in the Auditor’s Office starting May 4, 2020 during normal office hours until June 1st. An absentee ballot request form must still be completed before a ballot can be issued. Ballots are not allowed to be taken from the office. For safety reasons only a limited number of voters will be allowed in the office at the same time.
- Vote on Election Day: Polling hours are 7 AM – 9 PM. Polling locations are being consolidated for this election to reduce the number of poll workers required to work on Election Day. More information about the polling locations will be released later. Iowa law requires you to provide an approved form of identification or have a registered voter of your precinct who has produced approved identification attest for you.
A statewide mailing of absentee ballot request forms to all active voters will begin this week. If you require additional absentee ballot request forms, they are available online on the Secretary of State’s website at www.sos.iowa.gov, the Appanoose County’s website at www.appanoose.org/departments/auditor or call the Auditor’s Office at (641) 856-6191.
In order to vote in the Primary Election, you have to be a registered Democrat or Republican. You can declare a party on the absentee ballot request form.
If you need to register to vote, you can do this online at the Secretary of State’s website at www.sos.iowa.gov or with the Auditor’s Office. The voter pre-registration deadline is May 22, 2020. After this, voters will be required to follow Election Day Registration procedures.
To complete the absentee ballot request form, please provide the following required information:
- Name and Date of Birth
- ID Number: either your Iowa Driver’s License or Non-Operator ID Number or Pin number on Voter Identification Card that was provided to those voters without an Iowa Driver’s License or Non-Operator ID
- Your Iowa residential address
- If your mailing address is different than your residential address
- Election Date/Type
- Political Party
- Signature & Date
Please mail the completed forms to Appanoose County Auditor, 201 N 12th St #11, Centerville, IA 52544
PLEASE NOTE: Absentee ballot request forms for the November 3, 2020 General Election cannot be accepted until July 3, 2020.
The legal notice and sample ballots will be published starting May 13, 2020.